Public Works Engineers (7/19/17)
The Engineering Division manages issues related to traffic movement, the design of public facilities (public streets, parks, buildings and drainage improvements) and project construction management within the public right-of-way. The Engineering Division administers the streetlight maintenance contract, the pavement management program (PMP), drainage master plan and special programs such as the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), Community Rating System, Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program (MCSTOPPP) and Safe Routes to Schools.
The Engineering Division consists of four sections: Traffic Engineering, Project Development, Project Design & Construction Management and Mapping.
The Traffic and Engineering section is responsible for responding to traffic-related requests, street light and traffic signal system operations and maintenance, traffic (vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian) circulation investigations and traffic studies.
The Project Development section is responsible for reviewing encroachment permits, grading permits, transportation permits and licenses for temporary use of the public right-of-way. The Engineering Division reviews private development projects forwarded by the Planning Division and provides comments and recommendations for development compliance with city standards and policies.
The Project Design and Construction Management section provides engineering design and construction inspection services for public improvements involving streets, storm drains, structures, traffic signals, streetlights, park facilities, and municipal structures. This section also oversees the Storm Drainage Master Plan, the Pavement Management Program, contract management and inspection for construction activities for public and private projects.
The Mapping section provides mapping products, services and support for internal and external customers and provides continued operation and maintenance of the mapping systems.
Additional services provided include:
- Engineering Review of Private Development Projects and Permit Applications
- Issuance of Encroachment and Grading Permits
- Streetlight Maintenance oversight
- Management of Community Facility and Landscape & Lighting Assessment Districts
- Construction & Engineering Standards
- Storm Drainage Master Plan
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention (MCSTOPPP)
- Floodplain Management and Community Rating System Activities
- Solid Waste (recycling) Programs & Management Plan
- Underground Utilities
Committees and programs administered by the Engineering Division:
- Traffic Safety Advisory Committee
- Street Improvement Oversight Advisory Committee
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Novato Streetscape Committee
- Safe Routes to Schools Program
- Pavement Management Program (PMP)
- Street Smarts Program